After a wonderful year of bird-watching, I want to share some of those sights that hit me right in the heart (or the funny-bone) when I saw them:
1) Downy Woodpecker’s back–I never noticed until now how peculiarly precise is the cross marking on his head.
2) A tolerant hawk — this Red-tailed Hawk young watched and watched me, until he finally grew weary of my fawning attention.
3) A gray-feathered cardinal scratching its back
4) A bold nuthatch asserting itself, even against bluebirds:
5) The “dunce-cap” look of a nuthatch who peers horizontally from his tree descent.
6) A grand bird scrounging in the grubby dirt; yum!
7) Yellow-rumped warbler visiting our bird bath.
8) Finding two sapsuckers when you thought you were taking a photo of only one.
9) and finally, friends who will make very special things for you (this was made for my sister on her wedding day):
my heart is yours.